Fundacija Poti miru - Poti miru v Posocju
Ustanova "Fundacija Poti miru v Posočju"
Gregorčičeva 8, 5222 Kobarid, Slovenija
T: +386 (0)5 38 90 167
F: +386 (0)5 38 90 168
E: info@potmiru.si


slovensko english deutsch italiano magyar
Facebook Med priljubljene

Nazaj na zemljevid

Fortification Kluže

The look and the purpose of the Fortification Kluže have varied in the course of history. It blocked up an important strategic passage at the narrowest section of the Koritnica. The first, wooden, fortification was constructed by the Venetians in the second half of the 15th century. It served as the defence against the Turkish inroads. The first fortification made of stones was erected at the beginning of the 16th century, when the Venetian rule was replaced by the Habsburg rule. Afterwards, it was renovated for several times. In 1797 the French wars began and the fortification was burnt and pulled down at that time. It was the period of Napoleon Bonaparte. The new fortification, whose practically unchanged look has been preserved until the present days, was built under Austro-Hungary in the years 1881–1882. It was named Flitscher Klause (Bovške Kluže). It was so schemed that it had control over the passage from the Bovec basin across the pass of Predel/Predil to the inland of the Austro-Hungarian monarchy. During the Isonzo Front it grew in importance because the frontline stabilized in its immediate vicinity. Situated below the steep faces of Mt. Rombon, the fortification was safe from direct Italian shelling. Placed in it were the commands and rear troops, and also a dressing station. Many protection and supply facilities were added to it, such as a small power plant, water-pumping station, observation posts with searchlights and the like.

In the time before the Second World War the fortification was ravaged. Most of the metal parts were removed since the Italian state lacked raw materials. In the years 1945–1947, under the administration of the Allies, when the road was widened and the collapsed bridge restored, the rampart together with the portal were removed from the road. Now, a museum collection is arranged in the Fortification Kluže, with a permanent and several temporary exhibitions. In summertime the fortification turns to an important cultural centre offering numerous events.

Altitude above sea level: 532 m
GPS: 46.361207, 13.589761

altaltaltalt
 
Fundacija Poti miru - Poti miru v Posocju
Multimedija Poti miru v Posocju Informacijski center Aktualno Študijski center